Inspired by the visual richness and cinematic structure of the Hollywood Musical, Blame this on the Boogie chronicles the adventures of a Filipino American girl born in the decade of disco who escapes life’s hardships and mundanity through through the genre’s feel good song and dance numbers. “Boogie” explores how the glowing charm of the silver screen can transform one’s reality, shaping their approach to childhood, relationships, sports, reality TV, and eventually politics, parenthood, and mortality.
“Ayuyang’s visuals are wonderfully musical, lilting across the pages with energy and movement.” – Publisher’s Weekly
2009, 128 pp, b/w interior with color sketchbook section, $14.99
My first graphic novel collects favorite stories from the Namby Pamby minicomic series and various anthology contributions as well as new stories that center around family, cultural history, football fanaticism, and thoughts on a crazy but lovable father. Also includes a 10 page color section of doodle diary strips. Thanks to the great Sparkplug Comic Books and Tugboat Press for publishing this Ignatz-nominated book.
When the Dust Settles (2014)
Outta This Comes the Crazy (2013)
Pet Project (2010)
Overwhelming Wot-Not (2008)
Doodle Daze (2008)
Hauses (with Renee French, 2008)
Namby Pamby #4 (2006)
k.i.t. (with Rhodora Ayuyang, 2006)
Haiku Summer (with Ken McCarty, 2005)
The Weather (2004)
Elevator Stories (2004)
Namby Pamby #3 (2004)
Namby Pamby #2 (2003)
Namby Pamby #1 (2002)
Anthologies & Magazines
- “Summer in Oakland,” Popula, ed. Vanessa Davis, 2018.
- “A Cartoonist’s Diary,” The Comics Journal, 2015.
- “Beginning’s End,” Mutha Magazine, ed. Meg Lemke, 2014.
- “Untitled,” Runner, Runner, ed. Greg Means, 2012.
- “Lola,” comic, The Black Forest: A Collection of Art, Comics and Folk Tales from Western Pennsylvania, 2011.
- “Don’t Let It Get You Down,” comic, Stripburger, Issue 49, 2009.
- “The Miracle Season,” comic, Girls’ Guide to Guys Stuff, Friends of Lulu anthology, ed. MK Reed.
- 2006 Year In Review comics special, East Bay Express, art director.
- “Lapog,” comic, Stripburger, Issue 43, 2006.
- “Harold…,” 1-panel gag, Desert Island Paradise anthology, ed. Josh Frankel and Joey Allison Sayers, 2006.
- “Acacia,” comic, SPX 2005 anthology, ed. Brian Ralph, 2005.
- “Hobba-Jay-ba-Joowa,” illustration, Do You Like TV? anthology, ed. Levon Jihanian, 2005.
- “Oh! Sweet Mystery of Life!,”comic, True Porn 2, ed. by Robyn Chapman and Kelli Nelson, 2005
- “Cafe Clatch,” illustration, Kitchen Sink magazine, Issue #9, 2004.
- “On A Winter’s Evening,” comic, Snow Stories anthology, 2004.
- “A New Kind of Worship,” comic, Other magazine, Issue #4, 2004.
- “Niagara Falls,” comic, Creativeskin, Issue 1, 2004.
- “Once Upon a Time on the Hill,” word & image collaboration with writer, Peter Byrne, Kitchen Sink magazine, Issue #7, 2004.
- How to be a Good/Bad Library Patron, illustrations, edited by Jerianne of Zine World magazine, 2004.
- Zine World: A Reader’s Guide to the Underground Press, illustrations, Issue #19, 2003